Friday, January 21, 2011

Why following Stan Lee on Twitter is such a treat.

Why following Stan Lee on Twitter is such a treat.

Originally published on Facebook
by Blane Mather on Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 1:37pm

When I was younger, one of the things I liked about reading comics was reading Stan Lee's replies to readers questions in the Mighty Marvel Bull Pen section of Marvel comics or reading his commentary when he climbed on Stan Lee's Soapbox. Oh, it was all corny, hyper-inflated rhetoric filled with blatantly bombastic statements and armageddonish alliteration (yes, I just made up a word! ... I'm just following in the master's footsteps.) It was fun, and communicated to me that one of the primary creators of comic superheroes had the same love for them that I had.

In recent years it's been a real pleasure to see just about everyone honor Stan Lee as the creative genius and comic ombudsman that he is, whether it's TV interviews and blog mentions or cameo appearances in countless superhero blockbuster films.

I've recently started following @TheRealStanLee on Twitter. And it's taken me right back to those days of reading Stan Lee's Soapbox. I don't know if I can put into words how it makes me feel, but I can quote a few examples here and let you see what you think.

-------------------------------------

@TheRealStanLee (1-15-11):

Many brave Brigadiers have asked why I respond not personally to their querulous queries. I shall forthwith explain—

Thy beloved Generalissimo receiveth literally hundreds of questions each day from his knowledge-seeking warriors--

Alas, there be no time to pause for personal replies whillst affairs of state weigh heavily ‘pon my broad and brawny shoulders

Truth to tell, tis verily impossible to read each and every heartfelt tweet, but I do skimeth them thru, the better to link with thee

When I feel a particular query will be of interest to most of ye, I strive to address it right here before the eyes of the tweeting world

So fret ye not if thy tweet seems to fall ‘pon deaf ears. Thy leader doth read, listen and care. Thou are never alone! Excelsior!

@TheRealStanLee (1-14-11):

A troubled Brigadier hath asked his beloved Generalissimo a non-military question. So, warriors mine, stand thou at ease whilest I respond

“How” asketh he, “do I conquer writers block?” Ignore it, say I. Recognize it not. That which doth not exist cannot trouble thee

How gratifying it must be for my legions to know that their exalted Leader deigns to share his inexhaustible fund of knowledge with thee

Yea, tis not enough to be master of warfare. I must also be shaman and sage to ye who are troubled. And so shall I be! Excelsior!

@TheRealStanLee (1-13-11):

Someone actually tweeted, ”Are you the real Stan Lee or are you a fake?” I figure a fake wouldn’t admit he’s a fake, so he’d say he’s me.

And, of course, I’d say I’m me because I am me. So whether I’m a fake or I’m me, my inquisitor would get the same answer!

And so, my unknown tweeter, yeah, I’m me! But that’s what a fake would say, too. So you’ve initiated an exercise in futility.

So take heed, Brigadiers. When e’er thou mayest interrogate a fallen foe, choose thee thy queries with care! Excelsior!

@TheRealStanLee (1-12-11):

Two days ago the date was 1-1-11. All ones! Yet none of thee made mention! Are ye too jaded to find joy in simple things, my warriors?

Though the fate of mankind doth heavily weigh ‘pon our mighty shoulders, still must we pause to smell yon roses

No matter our power, no matter our cause, we must ne’er neglect life’s little trivia which doth garnish life’s plate of triumph and glory

And to him who tweeteth “Stan, I don’t know what the (naughty word) you’re talking about,” I say unto him, “Nor truly do I!” Excelsior!

-------------------------------------

Oh, it makes me chuckle and smile so. And no one else could get away with chatting like that. But Stan the Man can. So sayeth @blanemather - Excelsior!


No comments: